[Tlhingan-hol] Translating the past

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sun Apr 13 04:29:36 PDT 2014

On 4/13/2014 12:53 AM, ghunchu'wI' wrote:

> Such special pleading is not necessary. The paq'batlh has many other
> relevant examples, most of which have active verbs like {leng} and
> {Qoy} and {qel}.

I've quickly skimmed through paq'batlh, and I don't find any examples of
-pu' or -ta' that aren't purely aspect. In places where I see time
contexts, I see no reason to interpret anything happening prior to that
time context. Through my extremely brief skimming, paq'batlh seems to be
very sensible in this matter.

In English it is customary to deliver narratives in the past tense, but
in Klingon you simply give a time context. Just because a time context
is in our past doesn't mean a sentence is in the past tense, and it
doesn't mean that you have to use the completion suffixes because all
these events have been completed to our perspective.

http://www.trimboli.name/