[Tlhingan-hol] Translating the past

ghunchu'wI' qunchuy at alcaco.net
Sat Apr 12 07:23:28 PDT 2014

On Apr 12, 2014, at 2:21 AM, "Robyn Stewart" <robyn at flyingstart.ca> wrote:

> I’ve been a huge advocate for a sentence with no aspect translatable as simple present, past or future, but canon isn’t supporting it. Marc has very consistently not used it that way.

Conversational Klingon gives us clear instruction.

wa'Hu' jIghung.	Yesterday I was hungry.
DaHjaj jI'oj.	Today I am thirsty.
wa'leS jIDoy'.	Tomorrow I'll be tired.

This doesn't merely support the "no aspect can be any tense" position. It prescribes it.

Our principal example of canonical Klingon narrative, the paq'batlh, is extremely consistent in this usage. When context calls for it, aspectless verbs in the Klingon are paired with future and past tense phrases in the English.

-- ghunchu'wI'