[Tlhingan-hol] Canon and feelings for translating be-verbs with"there"

Elizabeth Lawrence elizabeth.lawrence08 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 19:10:26 PDT 2014

I would certainly prefer to see the Klingon sentences you used as examples
over the same sentences with a tu'lu' on the end.  I would want tu'lu' if
there were no stative verbs, if the emphasis was on the finding (though in
that case, -lu' might well not fit), or with stative verbs where the
meaning with and without "there is" is not equivalent.

For example, for *law' Iw'* "Blood is abundant." and "There is a lot of
blood." convey the same meaning in different styles.  For *Doq paq* "The
book is red." and "There is a red book." don't have the same semantic
content.I would not translate *Doq paq* as "There is a red book."

As for what translation I would use in your examples, I wouldn't have a
problem with someone else's use of either, but which I would use would
depend on my intent.  If I was trying to translate colloquial Klingon to
colloquial English, I might well prefer the "There is" translations, but if
I was trying to convey in English the feel of colloquial Klingon, I would
choose the more direct translations.

For your beginner course, you might want to include a couple of examples
with both the very direct and more colloquial translations, to help give
students a sense of the kinds of rephrasing they will have to do when they
are translating their English ideas into Klingon sentences.

be''etlh