[Tlhingan-hol] "Today is a good day to be that guy"

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Fri Sep 13 07:02:01 PDT 2013

Sorry for this being so late, but it was bounced from the kli-server:
------------------------------------

Again, a situation where you need to think about what "to be" really
means here.

My first simple thought would be the verb {rur} "resemble", in the sense
of "be like":

loDvetlh rurmeH QaQ jajvam.

After I have read Wheaton's blog, it looks like "THAT guy" is not just
{loDvetlh}... Perhaps a topic marker would work here:

loDvetlh'e' rurmeH QaQ jajvam.

With weathon's post, I think rur is not the best word, perhapbs Da is
even better: "I want to behave like that guy"

loDvetlh'e' vIDameH QaQ jajvam.

But it feels not hitting the idea perfectly... Maybe it doesn't work
without context.

Okay, these phrases are all based on the proverb "today is..."
Without that, I would recast completely:
QIpwI' vIDaQo'.

Lieven.

--
Lieven L. Litaer