[Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv - The Recruit - 16

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Tue Sep 3 07:03:17 PDT 2013

In this ongoing story, Torg has just completed a painful training session.
nuppu'DI' 'oy', pur torgh 'ej jatlh, "rInDI' Qu'wIj, SIbI' DujmajDaq
tujol'a'?" jatlh maQ, "ghobe'. botjan ngepDI' jolpatmaj HIvwI' ghuH tengchaH
vaj Hub juSlaH pagh."
jatlh torgh, "vaj chay' SaSamqa'? chay' Dujmaj wItIjqa'?"
tlhoS QeHchoH maQ, jangtaHvIS. jatlh, "torgh! Dajonlu'chugh De'vetlh pegh
DaSovbe'nIS. Qu' naQ Damagh DaneH'a'?"
tuH torgh. qa'meH vIttlhegh, peghmeH vIttlhegh je jatlh. Qu' ngoQ luchavbogh
latlhpu' Sovbe'nIS 'e' yaj. Qu'Daj'e' ta'laHchu'mo' Hem. chaq ngugh
Qubqu'chugh torgh, Qu'Daj vIt tlhoj, 'ach Doy'mo' Qubchu'be'.
nuppu'DI' 'oy', pur torgh 'ej jatlh, "rInDI' Qu'wIj, SIbI' DujmajDaq
tujol'a'?"
nup = decrease
pur = inhale
tu- = verb prefix subject you (plural) - object me
"When the pain has decreased, torgh takes a breath and says, "When my
mission is complete, will you immediately beam me aboard our ship?"
jatlh maQ, "ghobe'. botjan ngepDI' jolpatmaj HIvwI' ghuH tengchaH vaj Hub
juSlaH pagh."
ghobe' = no - the answer to a yes/no question, which is what Torg just
asked.
botjan = shields - the shields on a ship.
ngep = override
-maj = N4 - our - for things that aren't people - I think you've had this
one.
"... when our transporter system overrides the shields ..."
HIv = attack
ghuH = be alerted to, prepare for
"...the space station will be alerted to the attacker ..."
vaj = thus, then, so
Hub = defence
juS = pass
pagh = nothing, zero, no one
"So nothing/no one will be able to pass the defenses."
jatlh torgh, "vaj chay' SaSamqa'? chay' = how? - only the question
Sam = find, as the result of seeking
-qa' = resume, again
"How will I find you again?" - Perhaps I shouldn't have used -qa' here, I
might be translating an English idiom.
chay' Dujmaj wItIjqa'?"
"How will we board our ship again?"
tlhoS QeHchoH maQ, jangtaHvIS.
tlhoS (adverb) = almost, nearly
QeH (verb) = be angry
maQ is almost angry as he answers.
jatlh, "torgh! Dajonlu'chugh De'vetlh pegh DaSovbe'nIS.
jon = capture
Da- = verb prefix "you-it" BUT look ahead and see there is a -lu' suffix on
the verb
-lu' = suffix that tells you not even to look for a subject, the subject is
not important here, it's all about the object. This kinda 'reverses' the
prefix: a prefix that would ordinarily indicate action by "you" on "it" now
indicates action by <doesn't matter> on YOU.
-chugh = if
Dajonlu'chugh = if you are captured, if you get captured, if they capture
you (for an unspecified they). Some people say "-lu' is Klingon passive
voice" but I don't like that, firstly because it isn't, it's just often
useful to translate it that way; secondly because "passive voice" has a bad
rep in English from people being told (swidt?) not to use it; and thirdly
because half the people who complain about it can't even identify passive
voice, so it's not a very useful way to explain it.
De'vetlh pegh = a nonu-noun construction: "that secret information"
DaSovbe'nIS = "you need to not know it" Here the placement of -be' is
important. DaSovnISbe' = "you don't need to know it" which isn't the same as
you need to not know it.
"if you are captured you need to not know that secret information."
Qu' naQ Damagh DaneH'a'?"
naQ = be entire, be whole - it's following a noun so it is acting ... finish
the sentence for me ... adjectivally
magh = betray
Da- = You should probably know this verb prefix by now.
neH = want. neH is the only verb that can go right after another verb this
way. Any other verb would need 'e', the sentence as object pronoun, but neH
is allowed here, and 'e' would be wrong.
"Do you want to betray the entire mission?"
tuH torgh.
tuH = be ashamed
"Torgh is ashamed."
qa'meH vIttlhegh, peghmeH vIttlhegh je jatlh.
qa'meH vIttlhegh = replacement proverb - one of a number of set sentences,
kind of a cross between "oops" "sorry" and "I meant to do that"
peghmeH vIttlhegh = secrecy proverb - also one of a number of set phrases, a
way of saying, "It's okay, you can trust me" in Klingon.
The two terms are linked by the conjunction je after both of them, and the
comma between the terms helps the reader parse that.
"He says a replacement proverb and a secrecy proverb."
Qu' ngoQ luchavbogh latlhpu' Sovbe'nIS 'e' yaj.
Qu' ngoQ - a noun-noun construction "the mission goal" or "the goal of the
mission"
luchavbogh - which [they] achieve
latlhpu' - latlh is "other one", "additional one". Putting a -pu' plural on
it is a neat way of restricting its referent to people, so we know this is
"the others" (other people)
Sovbe'nIS = He must not know
'e' = now the whole preceding sentence is the object of the upcoming verb
yaj = he understands
"He understands that he must not know the goal of the mission which the
others will achieve."
I pop in future tense there in English, because if they were already
achieving it now, they wouldn't need him.
Qu'Daj'e' ta'laHchu'mo' Hem.
Qu'Daj = his mission - you know these
-'e' - note that it is not the WORD 'e', but the N5 to emphasize this noun.
-laH = V5 be able to
-mo' = V9 because (of the verb)
Hem = be proud
"Because he can do HIS MISSION perfectly, he is proud."
chaq ngugh Qubqu'chugh torgh, Qu'Daj vIt tlhoj, 'ach Doy'mo' Qubchu'be'.
chaq = adverb - perhaps
ngugh = adverb - at that time
Qubqu'chugh = if he thinks/thought hard
Qu'Daj vIt = noun-noun
"Perhaps at that time if he thought hard, he realized the truth of his
mission, but because he was tired he did not think perfectly."

-	Qov