[Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv - The Recruit - 15

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Mon Sep 2 17:02:25 PDT 2013

In this continuing story, maQ is making Torg practise a mission procedure
under every imaginable condition, including enduring pain.
ghaHvaD QIghpej lo'DI' maQ, jachqu' torgh. yabDaj Danmo' bep, tlhoS porghDaj
SeHlaHbe' 'ej tlhoS leghlaHbe', 'ach noch ghunqa' jay' 'ej Qaghbe'. rInDI'
Qu' 'em 'ej ravDaq Dej, pe'vIl joqtaHvIS ghIvDu'Daj.
QIghpej 'oy' patlh 'olDI' maQ, loQ DIvchoH qabDaj. Qamqa'laHmeH torgh, ghop
SIch.  jatlh, "maj. Qu' Data'laHlaw'."
--
ghaHvaD QIghpej lo'DI' maQ, jachqu' torgh.
You know that the N5 -vaD indicates the "beneficiary" of an action, but here
yabDaj Danmo' bep, tlhoS porghDaj SeHlaHbe' 'ej tlhoS leghlaHbe', 'ach noch
ghunqa' jay' 'ej Qaghbe'.
Dan = occupy territory - a military term. jISorHa' - I'm speaking
metaphorically, characterizing agony as a military force that comes in and
occupies his mind. I just realized now in translating that we have a similar
metaphor in English, "to be occupied" but for us occupy can be anything in a
place. The Klingon Dan is specifically a military force holding territory.
tlhoS = almost, nearly
jay' = invective - an interesting adverb. It adds invective strength to the
clause that it follows. <noch ghunqa' jay'> = "he reprograms the fucking
sensors" or "he programs the hell out of the sensors."
"Because agony holds his mind like an occupying army, he almost cannot
control his body, and almost can't see, but he programs the fucking sensors
and doesn't make a mistake."
Torg may not be smart, but he's tough. I think maQ turned the power up until
Torg screamed, and then held it on him, without checking to see how high he
had set it.
rInDI' Qu' 'em 'ej ravDaq Dej, pe'vIl joqtaHvIS ghIvDu'Daj.
rIn = be complete, be finished
'em = vomits
pe'vIl = forcefully, by force
ghIv = a (person's) limb
-Du' = plural marker for body parts only
"As soon as the task is completed he vomits and he collapses on the floor,
his limbs forcefully waving."
You'd think the Klingon would have a word for "spasmodically twitching," but
I make do. At least I hope you can see the poor guy on the edge of seizure
from the pain.
QIghpej 'oy' patlh 'olDI' maQ, loQ DIvchoH qabDaj.
QIghpej 'oy' patlh - a three noun pile-up. "agonizer's pain rank" - I think
that should be pretty clearly something like "pain setting" or "level of
pain of the agonizer"
'ol = verify
"When maQ checked the agonizer pain setting, his face became a little
guilty."
Qamqa'laHmeH torgh, ghop SIch.
"In order that Torg can stand up again, he reaches a hand."
I had some trouble with this, not linguistically but culturally. Needing
help would be shameful to a Klingon, so I didn't want to say <Qamqa'meH
torgh QaH maQ>. Instead I leave it vague whether Torg uses the offered hand,
and try to picture it as being as much congratulatory as assisting. Do you
think it works?
 jatlh, "maj. Qu' Data'laHlaw'."
"Good. I think you will be able to do the mission."
After all that, maQ qualifies his statement with -law'. It *appears* that
torgh can do it. We shall see. And of course that could be translated as "I
think you can do the mission."  I chose the future because it sounds like
he's giving him permission, because English is wishy-washy in its can/may
distinction.  "It seems you are able to do the mission." is another
candidate.
Holodecks, conveniently, are self-cleaning, so the vomit will get recycled
with the other objects in the holodeck.
-Qov