[Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv = The Recruit - 14

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sun Sep 1 19:20:31 PDT 2013

Here's the end of the first page of the eight page story. Excerpts are going
to get a bit longer now. I'm going to make you look up some words that are
in TKD, but I'll still give you all the words that aren't. Protagonist Torg
has been recruited by maQ for a special mission.

tengchaHDaq tojmeH pa' lughoS torgh, maQ je.  romuluSngan tengchaH DataHvIS
tojmeH pa', Qu' mIw ghoj 'ej qeq torgh. SeHlaw naw'nIS 'ej ghunnIS. nap mIw
'ach qaStaHvIS vagh rep qeq torgh 'e' poQ maQ. HurghtaHvIS ta'nIS.
bachtaHvIS romuluSnganpu'  ta'nIS. SaHbe'taHvIS tlham ta'nIS. tlhuHbe'taHvIS
ta'nIS. 'oy' SIQtaHvIS ta'nIS.

1st sentence:
tengchaHDaq tojmeH pa' lughoS torgh, maQ je.

toj = bluff, trick
pa' = room
A <tojmeH pa'> is "a room for the purpose of tricking." We've been told
that's the Klingon term for holodeck.

Note that while the action takes place <tengchaHDaq> with the locative,
there is no locative to indicate motion towards the <tojmeH pa'>. The verb
ghoS implies its own movement towards, so <tojmeH pa' lughoS> means "they go
to the holodeck". If it were <tojmeH pa'Daq lughoS> it would mean they
proceeded towards something/someone (there would have to be context to know)
while already inside the holodeck.

"Torgh and maQ go to the holodeck on board the space station."

romuluSngan tengchaH DataHvIS tojmeH pa', Qu' mIw ghoj 'ej qeq torgh.

romuluSngan = Romulan - you know that
Da = behave as, act like
mIw = procedure - plural marking is optional in Klingon, so you can also
read it as "procedures"

"While the holodeck behaves as the Romulans' space station, Torg learns and
drills the mission procedure(s)."
or
"With the holodeck simulating a Romulan space station, Torg learns and
practises how to do the mission."

People sometimes ask what Klingon for "with" is. In order to answer that,
you have to figure out what with means in English. Here, it happens to mean
"while".

SeHlaw naw'nIS 'ej ghunnIS.

SeHlaw = control panel - it looks like the verb SeH + law but it's just a
noun now, you can't disassemble it.
naw' = access - I spelled this wrong in the version I sent out. Punishment
has been meted out.
-nIS = needs to

"He needs to access the control panel and he needs to program it."

nap mIw 'ach qaStaHvIS vagh rep qeq torgh 'e' poQ maQ.

qaS = happen, occur
You know -taHvIS. The verb qaS is one of the most common places you will see
it. qaStaHvIS = while it occurs. The subject may be a specific period of
time or a noun that implies a duration. Here it's <vagh rep> = five hours.
(Remember that plurals are usually optional in Klingon, so <vagh repmey>
isn't necessary). "While five hours occurs" = "for [a duration of] five
hours".
'e' = previous sentence is the object of the upcoming sentence
poQ = require, demand

"The procedure is simple, but maQ requires that Torg practice it for five
hours."

HurghtaHvIS ta'nIS.

"He needs to accomplish it while it is dark."

bachtaHvIS romuluSnganpu'  ta'nIS.

"He needs to accomplish it while Romulans are shooting."

SaHbe'taHvIS tlham ta'nIS.

SaH = care, care about, be present - given that the subject is tlham
(=gravity), an uncaring force, it's easy to guess which is intended.
Sometimes it's harder to tell and sometimes both can be equally understood).
When I learned this word I thought of a Klingon comforting a distraught
friend with a touch and the word, "jISaH."

"He needs to do it while gravity is not present."

tlhuHbe'taHvIS ta'nIS.

"He needs to do it while he doesn't breathe."

'oy' SIQtaHvIS ta'nIS.

"He needs to do it while he endures pain."

 I hope you can picture maQ standing there with a stern expression on his
face, resetting the holodeck again and again with new obstacles for Torg to
overcome. "DaH yIta'qa'." - "Now do it again."

-	Qov