[Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv = The Recruit - 51

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Wed Oct 23 08:32:32 PDT 2013

On 2013-10-23, at 7:53, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> ngongmeH wa' DujDaq nuHmey nISbe'bogh So'wI' jomlu'pu'
> [A cloaking device which didn't disrupt weaponry was installed in one experimental ship. (untranslated on card)] S33

Interesting that it's not ngonglu'meH. I initially read it as ngongmeH wa' ...

I also like that there's no need to add -'e' because the verb only permits one noun to be the head. I like -'e' to be a disambiguator when necessary, but not an automatic addition when not.

> loS... qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He ghoSlu'bogh retlhDaq 'oHtaH
> It waits... on the edge of the galaxy, beside a passage to unknown regions of the universe. S99

Ugh. I read that as "Four ... It is at [etcetera]." The ellipsis wasn't enough to reset the word order. If anyone else had written that I would have them throw out the 'oHtaH and move the loS to its place. Starting the sentence with the concept of waiting is just not that important. And if they convinced me it was, then put a full stop after loS and repeat it as the verb of the second sentence.

> jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'

I've always loved this one. It feels so idiomatic.

> Dajatlhbogh vIyajlaHbe'
> I find no match for what you just said. KCD

noy nach Hutlhbogh lIghwI'vetlh.

> tajwIj 'oHbe' chorlIj jeqbogh Dochvetlh'e'
> That is not my dagger protruding from your midsection.

Interesting how the English translation misses the implication in the Klingon that the speaker may be denying identification not ownership of the weapon. tajwIj'e' 'oHbe'. baghneQwIj 'oH.

> nuH'e' qengbogh mangghomvam luDel 'e' ra' molor, lujang maS'e' loQ So'be'bogh QIb lurur
> Molor asks them what weapons this army carries, they reply, shaped as the crescent moon. PB

I think nuH is better translated "arsenal" or something there, because it's being used in the singular: luDel. And then I started to read it as "it was the moons that answered him..." :-)