[Tlhingan-hol] Na'vi' piece

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Fri Oct 18 03:50:41 PDT 2013

ja' SuStel:
>> That's how I started with Klingon: I transcribed the Klingon dialog in
[...]

ja' Voragh:
> That's almost the way I started.  I first stumbled across Mindscape's "STAR TREK V: The Final Frontier" 1989 computer game and its "Official Klingon Phrase Book" (full of typos and what I later discovered were grammatical errors).  I tried working out the grammar for myself, then discovered the "Conversational Klingon" audiotape which I immediately ordered.  I nearly wore out the tape transcribing it, but I was able to work out a bit more of the grammar.  Only later did I discover TKD.

Interesting to se how we all started in a similar way. My first step was
Conversational Klingon (on CD, btw). I also transcribed all I heard
there and made my own dictionary. At that time, I didn't know the movies
had klingon. One year later, I got a copy of TKD as a gift from a friend
of mine and then found out like "wow, that's a real language!".

It was in the year TKW was published, so I had the almost perfect
situation to start :-)

But at that time, I never thought I would come to where I am now, having
my name written on the first page of the German version of TKD.

:- D

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh