[Tlhingan-hol] pride and values

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Mon May 13 08:02:40 PDT 2013

ghItlhpu' Voragh, jatlh:
> FYI:  {nur} "dignity" was used elsewhere in the opera/PB for "pride":
> "In the draft for the opera ['u'], it was used to translate "pride" like this:
> "We will avenge your stolen pride" {nurraj nIHlu'ta'mo' manoD} [and]
> "with it I restore pride and values of the Klingon empire" {tlhIngan wo'
> nur ghob je HoSmoH quvvam}" [Quvar, 8/22/2011]
> How {nur} differs from {le'yo'} (which is used in a similar sense elsewhere
> in the opera/PB) is unclear.  I don't have the relevant verse in my notes.

In fact, the first verse discussed by Quvar uses {le'yo'} instead of {nur} in the final published version. The word appears twice in two consecutive verses (paq'raD 8:19-24, though potentially elsewhere too):

'ej Hoch vengHomDaq Hoch vengDaq je
Suchbogh ghaH qeylIS luQoy
woQ le'yo' je 'aghbej ghaH

le'yo'raj nIHlu'ta'mo' penoD jatlh qeylIS
nuHmeyraj tIQorgh
watlh 'Iwraj 'e' lu'aghmo' nuHmey jej

"And Kahless spoke to them
in every village and city he went,
filled with pride and authority,

about avenging their stolen pride,
about caring for their weapons,
for they represent the purity of their blood."

taH:
>   HemtaHvIS vay', ghaH DuQchu' le'yo'. HemtaHghach 'oS 'oH.
>   [QeS, 8/18/2011]

Indeed I did. How it differs from {nur} "dignity" is still murky, but that {le'yo'} is the noun for the feeling or emotion that one senses when one is {Hem} does seem clear. Just a few verses previously, the paq'batlh talks about Kahless travelling the lands with an "equal number of proud Klingons" - {lutlhej tlhInganpu' Hem mI' nIb} (paq'raD 8:12) - and since these verses talk about Kahless showing this pride in order to help the other Klingons realise what they have lost, the connection between {le'yo'} and {Hem} seems semantically pretty straightforward.

I wonder if the word {le'yo'} could be from a statement made by a commander expressing pride in those under his command? {le' yo'} "the fleet is special"? {{:)

QeS