[Tlhingan-hol] Stonewall Poster Goes Klingon ...

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Sat May 4 08:36:44 PDT 2013

On 5/4/2013 2:07 AM, De'vID wrote:
> As for {-Qo'} vs. {-Ha'}: they're not quite the same thing. {-Qo'} is
> the imperative counterpart of {-be'}, so {yIqImQo'} would mean "Don't
> pay attention to it". {yIqImHa'} is "Disregard it", using the gloss of
> {qImHa'} as "disregard". Although, now that I think about it, I can't
> think of a canon example of an imperative with {-Ha'}, so maybe that
> was a mistake too.

The prohibition in TKD is on using -be' with imperatives, not on using
-Ha'. I don't see any good reason why -Ha' should be disallowed.

yIchenHa'moH
take it apart!

yIghunHa'
deprogram it!

> My theory is that MO was initially trying to avoid the "screw (or
> f-word) someone" construction when he made up {nga'chuq}, just to make
> Klingon unusual and put the participants on an equal footing,

My own guess is that it is a linguistic nod to English, which has no
non-taboo verb where the object of the verb is having sex with the
subject. Either that, or he was letting the taboo guide his choice (he
wanted to make it clear that he was translating "have sex" and not "fuck").

http://www.trimboli.name/