[Tlhingan-hol] Fwd: Re: Stonewall Poster Goes Klingon ...

nIqolay q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Fri May 3 16:29:45 PDT 2013

I don't know if either of the marriage words has been used in canon,
but I suspect something like Sawchuq loDpu' or naychuq be'pu' might
probably work. If the subjects of Saw and nay are implied to be a man
and a woman respectively, then perhaps Sawchuq and naychuq on their
own suffice.

As for yIqImHa', the original phrase from the English slogan is "Get
over it!" along the lines of "don't let it bother you!" or "don't make
a big fuss over it!", so if bI'reng's suggestion of "mind your own
business" is an accurate interpretation of yIqImHa', then that sounds
like a reasonable translation.

Has there been any further insight into the use of nga'chuq in a
sentence since the first original gloss? Is the "with each other"
implied, i.e., would "rut nga'chuq loDpu'" be necessarily interpreted
as "sometimes men have sex with each other", or could it also be
interpreted as a simple "sometimes men have sex (with somebody or
other)"?

On the whole, I'm not sure it's a perfect translation, but they seemed
to do an okay job with what they have. (Klingon vocabulary doesn't
really have many words to talk about issues of sex and sexuality with
much finesse... there's nqa'chuq and that's kind of about it. Perhaps
Maltz is shy.)