[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: naDev

Ruben Molina rmolina at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 08:32:52 PDT 2013

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 9:01 AM, qurgh lungqIj <qurgh at wizage.net> wrote:

> Klingon word: naDev
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: here, hereabouts
>
> "It is worth noting at this point that the concepts expressed by the
English adverbs <here, there,> and <everywhere> are expressed by nouns in
Klingon: {naDev} <hereabouts,> {pa'} <thereabouts,> {Dat} <everywhere.>
These words may perhaps be translated more literally as "area around here,"
"area over there,"
and "all places," respectively. Unlike other nouns, these three words are
never followed by the locative suffix. (Note that {pa'} <thereabouts> and
{pa'} <room> are identical in sound; {pa'Daq,} however, can mean only
<in/to the room.>)" TKD p27–28

TKD:
<There are children here.>
   {naDev puqpu' tu'lu'.}
<There are Klingons around here.>
   {naDev tlhInganpu' tu'lu'}
<There's nothing happening here.>
   {naDev qaS wanI' ramqu'}
<I'm lost.>
   {jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'}
<Go away!>
   {naDevvo' yIghoS}

KGT p.127:
"There are twenty-two ribs here"
   {naDev cha'maH cha' joQDu' tu'lu'}
("that is, there is something out of the ordinary going on, even if no one
can say exactly what.")

CK:
<Do you know anyone here?>
   {naDev vay' DaSov'a'.}
<No. I don't know anyone here.>
   {ghobe'. naDev vay' vISovbe'.}
<I can't see well from here.>
   {naDevvo' jIleghlaHchu'be'.}

PK:
<Here they are. Two thousand credits. Hurry up!>
   {naDev bIHtaH. cha'SaD DeQ. tugh.}
<They ask him: "Can we get to the Great Hall from here?">
   {lutlhob; "naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'?"}
<Come here!>
   {naDev ghoS!}
<Bring that here!>
   {naDev Dochvetlh qem!}
 <I really mean it this time: bring that here!>
   {naDev Dochvetlh qemqu'!}
<It would be an honor to eat twice here at your house, your honor. I am
very hungry.>
   {naDev juHlIjDaq cha'logh vISopneSchugh, vaj jIquv. jIghungqu'.}
<Two Federation crewmen arrive on Kronos. They meet a Klingon guard. They
ask him: "Can we get to the Great Hall?">
   {Qo'noSDaq paw cha' DIvI' beq. tlhIngan 'avwI' lughom. lutlhob;
"naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'?"}

NEWS 1999-07-19:
<I live here>
   {naDev vIDab}

NEWS 1998-05-22:
   {naDev jIHtaH.}
(Untranslated. Maybe: "I am still here", pro+vs7)

TNK:
<Is it safe to swim here?>
   {naDev jIQal vIneH - Qobbe''a' bIQ}

** I have not completed my transcription of paq'batlh. But I have completed
the paq'yav **

PB paq'yav:

 [lut cherlu'].
   {naDev Sughompu' / 'ej Qo'noS SuvwI'pu' Hem tlhIH / qeylIS tIghmey'e'}
   {naDev Sughompu' / yIn lutDaj'e' Hegh / lutDaj'e' je}
   {naDev Sughompu' / Suto'vo'qor wIghoSmeH ngoQmaj'e' / DaH tIQoy}

 [10. qeylIS SuvwI' qan je]
   {tlhIngan loDnI'wI' / qatlh naDev SoHtaH / naDev taHbe' lheng'IQ}
   {ta'mey Dun Data'meH naDev SoHtaH / bIleng net lIjbe' / quvqa'meH vavlI'
yIvang}

ruben