[Tlhingan-hol] "Knitting" in Klingon

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 04:07:49 PDT 2013

De'vID:
>> I recently came across someone using *{vaDmuv} as a verb meaning "to
knit" (e.g., a sweater) on Twitter.

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh:
> Here is the full tweet from @KlingonKnitter on 16 June 2010:
>>
>> vay' Sov tlhIngan mu' vaDmuv, knitting joq knitter? #klingon (translate:
http://bit.ly/9AKLUU)

That wasn't the tweet I was talking about, but it must be where the
original mistake was made.

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh:
> I tracked the origin to the now defunct tweetinklingon.com web site,
which was part of the promotions for the Star Trek Online game. It saved
the original English for each mock-Klingon tweet so readers could
"translate" what was sent. Those records are no longer available, but based
on other samples of its output I am pretty sure that "tlhIngan mu' vaDmuv"
came from "Klingon word for join", with the English input being "Anybody
know the Klingon word for join, knitting or knitter?"

majQa'. bIvalqu'. Nice detective work!