[Tlhingan-hol] Salt

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 29 03:42:40 PDT 2013

ghItlhpu' Alex, jatlh:
> Klingons clearly do not use condiments on their {tlhagh patat 'oQqar naQHommey}.
> But is there a word for the {tlhIl} that Terrans known as salt?

No. I find myself going straight for {qut na'} when it's necessary. Either that, or I'll simply use the verb: {SojwIj vIna'moH} "I put salt on my food".

> (As a side note, Maltz must surely have come across vinegar, too, by now,, as well
> as various Terran herbs and spices

To be fair, we don't know what kind of conditions Marc's keeping him in. :)

> we could do with words for "vinegar," "herb" and "spice" as well as for salt).

You find them that difficult to work around? "Spice" would be well rendered by {tlhorghmoHwI'}, "vinegar" by {HIq wIb} or {taS wIb}, and "herb" by {por tlhorgh}. But of course, more specific contexts would give you more options.

QeS