[Tlhingan-hol] -Qo', -neS, -taHvIS

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Wed Jun 26 07:25:57 PDT 2013

On 2013-06-26, at 4:46, Fiat Knox <fiat_knox at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> {Dargh tlhutlhtaHQo'vIS}

I can't remember ever saying anything like that, but it follows the rules and tlhutlhtaHvISQo' sounds nonsensical. You get so used to -taHvIS as a unit but they are separate.

There's a good chance I'd say "tlhutlhQo'taHvIS" and most listeners wouldn't catch it, but by the rules we know they'd be right to correct me. I imagine it's a bit like "a whole nother issue."

> Further, can anyone think of an instance where -neS honorific has to be used at the same time as the -taH and -vIS suffixes, as in
>
> {chaw'taHneSvIS}

-neS is never required, but that's where it could go. Probably in a full sentence you would put it on the main verb, but ...

-- baQa'! ghorgh nargh qama'?

-- wIHIjtaHneSvIS, Sa'.

Yeah, sounds fine. -neS is so rare everything sounds weird with it.

- Qov