[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'Il

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Tue Jun 25 09:32:34 PDT 2013

On 6/25/2013 10:23 AM, Steven Boozer wrote:
>> Klingon word: 'Il
 >> Part of speech: verb
 >> Definition: be sincere
>
> As used in canon:
>
> yI'Il! Be sincere! KGT
>
> KGT 189:  Thus, if the occupant of a room heard a door chime, there
> would probably be no misunderstanding as a result of his or her
> saying {yI'Il!} ("Be sincere!") rather than the correct {yI'el!}
> ("Enter!"). In the situation at hand, only "Enter!" makes any sense.

KGT also explains that commanding with a verb of quality usually
requires {-'egh} and {-moH}; leaving these off might be used for
idiomatic expressions.

yI'Il'eghmoH
be sincere! make yourself sincere!

I don't see a contradiction with the above, since we're not told that
{yI'Il} is how you would normally command someone to be sincere, just
that it translates as "be sincere!"

http://www.trimboli.name/