[Tlhingan-hol] tlhoS

Fiat Knox fiat_knox at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 18 17:58:06 PDT 2013

I just heard that there is an adverbial, {tlhoS} "almost, nearly, virtually, not quite" (adv). It's perfect - I needed just this word - but I have to know: are there any special instructions for its use in a sentence? Or is it straightforward enough to just bung it in the sentence before the regular {OVS} construction like {jaS} and {nom} and {pe'vIl}?

I was thinking along the lines of wondering whether it could be used like {neH} to modify a noun - *{loD tlhoS ghaH puqloDlI''e'} Your son is almost a man*; or does it just go at the start - {tlhoS loD ghaH puqloDlI''e'} - like other regular adverbials, e.g. {nom loD moj puqloDlI'} "Your son grew up quickly" or {loQ bIlI'} "You are slightly useful"

Actually, as insults go, {loQ bIlI'} and {tlhoS bIlI'} - "You are slightly useful" and "You are almost useful" - sound pretty awesome and snarky. I must write them down.

But back to tlhoS. Can anyone tell me where this first appeared, if anyone else has heard of it?

Freelance Author

The Plainclothes Clown: http://fiat-knox.livejournal.com
The Serpent's Tongue: http://toscapetheserpentstongue.blogspot.com/