[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon dialogue in STID - additional information

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Jun 17 12:10:55 PDT 2013

Hi there,

some more or less interesting details, some directly from Okrand himself:

- Marc Okrand is not listed in the credits.

- The credits show a "language consultant" named Britton Watkins. He's
very much involved with the Na'vi-speaking community and also interested
in Vulcan. He was on the set and coached the actors when they spoke
Klingon. He's the one Zoe Saldana was talking about in the interview at
the Berlin premiere.

- Marc Okrand wrote all of the Klingon dialogue.

- He was in touch with Britton during the filming, but not on the set.

- Marc Okrand did work with Zoe Saldana during post-production. He also
worked with some voice-over actors (the shouting during the fighting).

--------------

What concerns the subtitles, I received the intended subtitles directly
from the German distribution company. They were not allowed to send me
the original script, but I was told it does not contain any klingon
words, only lines lik "talks in klingon".
I cannot explain how or why those might be mixed in the movie, but
basically, the english version should be consider the only canon source.

I am here to help you.
Ich bin hier, um Ihnen zu helfen.

With respect.
Voller Respekt.

There is a terrorist hiding in these ruins.
In diesen Ruinen versteckt sich ein Terrorist.

He has killed many of our people.
Er hat viele unserer Leute getötet.

Why should I care about a human killing humans?
Warum soll mich ein Mensch interessieren, der Menschen tötet?

Because you care about honor.
Weil Ihnen Ehre etwas bedeutet.

And this man has none.
Dieser Mann besitzt keine.