[Tlhingan-hol] Qumran

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Wed Jun 12 00:27:27 PDT 2013

jaj 06.06.2013 16:52, ghItlh QeS:

> The problem is that the explicit gloss of "scroll" for {tetlh} in KGT
> says that it is quite capable of referring to the physical entity of the
> scrolled piece of writing material, not just the information contained
> upon it. "Roll" has a more abstract use - honour roll, roll call, etc. -
> but "scroll" really can't be used so abstractly.

I got Maltz to tell more about that, and he was so kind to explain:

<<<<<<<<
Maltz was so pleased with the scroll / long letter that you sent, he
volunteered the word Qumran and I didn't think to ask him how a Qumran
differed from a tetlh.

But I've asked him now.

While tetlh can refer to a scroll, it can also refer to anything rolled
up scroll-like (like toilet paper).  The meaning of tetlh, over time,
got extended to refer not only to the scroll/roll, but the contents of
what may be written on a scroll and from there to refer to the sort of
thing that may be traditionally written on a scroll, such as a "list" of
things.  So, even if not written on a scroll, a shopping list could be a
tetlh.  So could a ship's manifest.

A Qumran, on the other hand, is only a scroll.  And it has connotations
of something important or sacred or ancient, though a Qumran need not be
all three of those things.  When a scroll is a part of a ceremony of
some kind, it's typically referred to as a Qumran, not a tetlh, even
though it is a tetlh, so if you called it that, you wouldn't be wrong,
but it might sound inappropriate.

I guess Maltz thought the scroll you sent was pretty significant.

In short -- any Qumran is a tetlh, but every tetlh is not a Qumran.

<<<<<<<<
(Marc Okrand to Lieven on 2013/06/08)

--
Lieven L. Litaer