[Tlhingan-hol] qaDHommey

Fiat Knox fiat_knox at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 6 11:04:18 PDT 2013

The wonderful thing about being a Klingonist, whether amateur or gifted amateur, is the little challenges people throw at you. "What's X in Klingon?" being something I imagine everybody here has heard thrown at them at some time or another. And being branded "The Only Klingon Speaker In Wales" means I get it from all over - including flack that would have been directed at other, quieter, local Klingonists but for the fact that I present a bigger, louder target.

Welsh Klingonists, you don't all have to line up to thank me.

Today's was 'What's "bacon" in Klingon?" directed to me in town.

Before I could reply, a friend said 'It probably sounds like "Blaaargh."' Then all eyes turned to look at me.

My reply: 'It's written down as "{targh Somraw SIjlu'ta'bogh}," but it's pronounced "Blaaargh." But with a Klingon accent.'

Improv. If there's one thing all this exposure to tlhIngan Hol has done for me, it's a talent for improv like nobody's business.

I assume Maltz has never come forth with the word for "bacon." Now would not be a good time to find out he can only eat kosher.