[Tlhingan-hol] bom mu'mey

Bellerophon, modeler bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 09:47:44 PDT 2013

Qapla'! Immigrant Song it is, Russ.

Robyn, thanks for the detailed analysis. chu'chu'wI' jIH. I know it's
impossible for you to tell what's intentional and what's not, when it's
just plain wrong. I'm always typing "i" for "I" due to astigmatism, but
rarely lower case D's. I was also trying to force the translation to fit,
which can call for clipping or some other deviation from normal grammar. I
used superfluous pronouns to fill in the meter. Some parts of my
translation are not as good as others. bIQHalmey isn't the destination for
maghoS; it just ended up there due to the meter but it messes up the
meaning so I'll try to fix it. I was completely stumped at "western shore"
and rendered it as "puH Hop." (I gave up when the best I could do was
"puH', 'emDaqbogh jaH pemHov," or land behind which goes the sun.) I'm glad
the "threshing oar" was recognizable thanks to the Dujmey. I left the moH
out of bochenmoHqa' by mistake, and bochenmoHqa' fits. Building new ruins
is definitely not what I meant.

Some of the errors are just plain stupidity. For starters, I have no idea
why I typed "bop" when I meant "bom", not just once but twice.  cha'vatlh
rep. ghIq Qapchu'Ha' yabwIJ.

Laurence should have gotten his money by now. I look forward to seeing you
all at qep'a' cha'maH wa'DIch.

Here is another version in which I hope I fixed everything. It mostly seems
to follow the meter of the original song. I changed the verb in the second
line to macholbejlI'. The original song just says "we come" but this fits
and is more threatening. I rendered "peace and trust" as "roj meq
je". Doesn't meq mean "reason, logic" as opposed to "reason, motive"? The
conquered had better listen to reason. (Don't know what I was doing with
latlh in there. Must have been losing consciousness.) There is still much
room for improvement.

*pawwI' **chu'** bom*

'a a a 'a'! 'a a a 'a'!
chuch puHvo', SoDtaH bIQHalmey tujDaq
ramjep pemHovvo' macholbejlI' maH.
puHmeyDaQ Dujmeymaj yuv Qunpu' mupwI',
novghom'a' wISuvmo', wIbomtaH, wIjachtaH: Suto'vo'qor, jIghoStaH!

maDonchuqtaH, moqtaH bI'wI'mo'. wa' ngoQmaj 'oHbej puH Hop'e'.

'a a a 'a'! 'a a a 'a'!
chuch puHvo', SoDtaH bIQHalmey tujDaq
ramjep pemHovvo' macholbejlI' maH.
tunqu' bIH yotlhmeyraj SuDqu''e'. 'Iwmo' lutmey tlhuplaH bIH,
veS yu'eghmey DIjotmoHta'. joHpu'raj joHpu' maH.

maDonchuqtaH, moqtaH bI'wI'mo'. wa' ngoQmaj 'oHbej puH Hop'e'.

DaH SumevnIS tlhiH 'ej pIghraj botI'nISqa',
wa'leS che'qa'taH roj meq je. 'ach jajvam SulujtaH.
'a a, 'a a a'
'a a, 'a a a'
[DIr'Inmey]

'eD