[Tlhingan-hol] teSwIj nIH

Gaerfindel gaerfindel at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 22 07:17:45 PDT 2013

ghItlh voragh; jatlh:
AFAIK we have only one example of {nIH} "right (side) and {poS} "left
(side)":

{poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu', chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'}

"The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors." (S9)

This suggests another possibility:

     ? nIHDaq mu'oy'moH teSwIj.
     ? nIHDaq 'oy'[choH] teSwIj.
         ... with {jIH} being understood since {teS} is marked with {-wIj}.

The first reads to me like, "My ear[s] are causing me pain on my right
[side]."  While true in a sense, I don't think it would help a {Qel}.

One might imagine a conversation going like this:

     Doc: Du'oy'moH'a' nuq?
     Me:  jIH teS/teSwIj.
     Doc: nuq teS?
     Me:  nIHDaq.