[Tlhingan-hol] "up to" or "as many as"

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Jul 12 07:21:53 PDT 2013

>> I'm skeptical towards placing a counting word before the verb rather
>> than the noun; in my mind, that would make {jav} the object (or
>> perhaps the beneficiary} of {DuHbogh}.
>
> Which turns out to be nonsensical: "idea which is impossible six."

Yes, but there are plenty of cases where the same principle wouldn't be nonsensical. {chorgh HoHbogh tlhIngan}, {Soch Sopbogh targhmey}, {jav naDbogh joHpu'}...

Primarily, though, my issue is with placing the number ahead of the verb. I suppose it's not impossible, though; paq'batlh (paq'raD, Canto 1, Stanza 9) does mention {Heghpu'bogh nuvpu' qa'pu'} in reference to the spirits of the dead, suggesting one can use a -bogh phrase as one of the "nouns" in a noun+noun compound.

I don't understand why you don't want the {jav} in the subject, though. Is it because you feel that makes them be impossible only when considered together?