[Tlhingan-hol] Comparative comparatives

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Thu Jan 31 13:08:34 PST 2013

I've come across this set of strings in the Facebook project. I
decided to put it here because it's a more interesting problem than
most of the drudge work, like translating "{number} other people"
twelve hundred times.

I'd prefer to have significantly more friends
I'd prefer to have moderately more friends
I'd prefer to have slightly more friends
I'd prefer to have slightly fewer friends
I'd prefer to have moderately fewer friends
I'd prefer to have significantly fewer friends

My first pass idea is:

law'qu'choH juppu'wI' 'e' vImaS
law'choH ...
loQ law'choH ...
loQ puSchoH ...
puS choH ...
puSqu'choH ....

There's lots of problems with it, but there's lots of problems with
lots of Facebook, and strict English would say there's problems with
this sentence.

- Qov