[Tlhingan-hol] 'arDIch

David Holt kenjutsuka at live.com
Sat Jan 26 11:25:32 PST 2013

> From: Qov
> As a mu' ru' in English, "the how-manyth?" would be understood, but different context-sensitive solutions need to be found.
>
> E.g. [a race finish] "What's my place?"
>
> But would you say 'arDIch jIH? or jIH 'arDIch?

I agree with your premise, but I'm not sure the example given demonstrates a confusing situation.  The answer seems clear to me.  <'ar> and <x-DIch> both follow the nouns they are describing and as such <jIH 'arDIch> can only mean, "the how-manyth me?"  This would work fine if it were a bunch of clones running the race.  <'arDIch jIH> must be referring to an unstated noun and so should be interpreted as, "I am the how-manyth (finisher)?"

janSIy