[Tlhingan-hol] jolly?

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 8 22:06:40 PST 2013

jatlhpu' De'vID:
> I have a recollection of reading somewhere that MO was asked how to
> translate "jolly good [fellow]", and his replied contained {Quchqu'}
> and a remark that Troi (in the STTNG episode "Parallels") was wrong to
> say that Klingon doesn't have a word for "jolly". Was it in an issue
> of HolQeD? On a mailing list?  Or am I imaging things?

I'm not familiar with any such remark in text or otherwise, but that doesn't mean much. I do know that one of the photos in KGT (I believe page 204, though I don't have my physical copy here) shows Beverly holding a birthday cake and Worf looking, well, Worfian. The caption to that photo says something like "Worf's expression says it all: there is no Klingon word for 'jolly'." I don't know if Marc wrote the captions to the KGT photos or if someone else was responsible, as with the footnotes to the paq'batlh.

At any rate, Troi was raised on Betazed, not on Earth... maybe the happy "jolly" vs. intensifier "jolly" mistake could be put down to an overly literal translation on her part? :)

QeS