[Tlhingan-hol] Invitation Translation

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Mon Feb 25 16:36:46 PST 2013

On 2/25/2013 5:32 PM, Felix Malmenbeck wrote:
> It's worth noting that prior to EuroTalk, the standard way to mark
> time was with the method Hh:Mm = {[tera'] rep H-maH h M-maH m}.
>
> This had some potential for confusion, though, because {rep wa'maH
> cha'} could potentially mean either "12 o'clock" or "12:02" (unless
> there's some disambiguator we don't know about).

Eh? This is no standard I have ever heard of.

The first time-telling format we had was from Conversational Klingon,
which uses a twenty-four hour cycle. 12 noon is {wa'maH cha' vatlh rep};
12 midnight is {pagh rep}; 7 am is {Soch vatlh rep}; 7 pm is {wa'maH
vagh vatlh rep}.

There is no mention of minutes in CK, but many of us would add minutes
the same way that military time is spoken. 12:02 pm is {wa'maH cha'
vatlh cha' rep}; 7:02 am is {Soch vatlh cha' rep}. This was unattested,
but the format is unambiguous.

Klingon for the Galactic Traveler gave us a new hour-counting system,
where one says "how many times it [clock chimes] is heard." Since clocks
only usually chime on a twelve-hour cycle (there are exceptions), 12
noon and 12 midnight would both be {wa'maHlogh Qoylu'pu'}; 7 am and 7 pm
would both be {Sochlogh Qoylu'pu'}. Once again, however, we were given a
scheme that does not include minutes.

Then TalkNow! came out, and it presented time as given in CK, but with
the addition of minutes. The format is identical to what we had been
doing all along with "military time," with the additional information
that when dealing with minutes after {pagh rep}, you just add the number
of minutes: 12:25 am is {pagh cha'maH vagh rep}.

I don't know who declared this so-called standard of {rep <hour>
<minute>}, and I wish people would be less eager to rewrite history.

http://www.trimboli.name/