[Tlhingan-hol] Helping a friend (pick up people in Federation bars)

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Tue Feb 5 06:22:57 PST 2013

On 2/5/2013 5:05 AM, Lawrence M. Schoen wrote:

> Are you thinking about me, or is my mind sifter acting up again?
> choqellI''a' pagh QapHa'qa' tuQDoqwIj

You've forgotton the -'a' on the second question. I'm not certain we can
conjoin sentences in the interrogative mood, because -'a' is for yes/no
answers and you're not being asked to give one. Assuming we can, the
line should be

choqellI''a' pagh QapHa'qa''a' tuQDoqwIj?

But since the line is supposed to give a choice between two options, I'd
rather just make it a statement:

choqellI' pagh QapHa'qa' tuQDoqwIj.

Add some qualifier suffixes as preferred.

> I can read love poetry and duck, all night long.
> qaStaHvIS ram naQ, bang bom vIlaDlaH 'ej jIjunlaH

{ram Hoch}, not {ram naQ}. I also think these verbs should get -taH:
you're not saying you're generally capable of reading and ducking at any
point during the night; you're saying you're capable of reading and
ducking *throughout* the night.

If you wish to keep the same order of clauses as the original, reword it as

bang bom vIlaDlaHtaH 'ej jIjunlaHtaH qaStaHvIS ram Hoch.

> Ridged, for your pleasure.
> bIbelmeH rIlba'

The -ba' concept is not in the English, but it has a distinct
'anghallian ring to it.

http://www.trimboli.name/