[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon from Star Trek 2009

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 03:49:44 PST 2013

Quvar:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pchkWmhCMXM
> [...]
> As an addition to my previous link to ST 2009, the phrases are only heard
> from 0:15 til 0:41. The following is what I *hear* and what the subtitles
> read. He seems to be repeating himself, but I don't recognize anything
> besides {Hegh}. Did anyone ever ask MO for his notes here?

I only got around to listening to this now. I'd assumed that it must
be pretty terrible, given that the movie's been out for a while and no
one else had posted a transcript besides Quvar. However, I actually
understood quite a bit of it, so either other people haven't bothered
or I have good ears for Klingon. Maybe this will encourage others to
fill in the rest.

> puHmeylIjDaq De'wI' DItu' je' me'.

{buqmeylIjDaq DIvI' De' pu'jInmey...}

The last word is clearly {pu'jInmey} (well, as clearly as could be
spoken by a guy in make-up under a mask).

The first word sounds like {buqmeylIjDaq} to me. Wasn't {buq} revealed
at the 2010 qepHom? Maybe MO saved it from the 2009 movie.

The middle part sounds more or less like {DI'vI' De'}.

I'm pretty sure I heard this right, though it's not a full sentence.

> 'ach pu'je'me'lIj tIqI',

{'ach pu'jInmeylIj bIHbe'.}
"But they're not your plans."

That line was also fairly clear.

> peja'pu'.

Possibly {peja'qu'.} "Tell us (emphatic)!"

> DaH DIvI' DI'pu'je'me' 'e' Dama'.

{DaH DIvI' De' pu'jInmey meq(?) Damagh(?)!}
"Now you'll indicate/reveal/betray the reason for the Federation data plans!"

I'm sure about the first part: {DaH} and {DIvI' De' pu'jInmey} are
clear, plus {DIvI' De' pu'jInmey} is a repeat of what he said earlier.
I'm not sure about the *{meq} or the verb *{magh} though.

The verb might be {ma'} or {maq} or {maS}... the actor swallowed the ending.

I'm not sure about the noun. It sounded like *{'eq} to me, or maybe it
was the suffix {-'e'} attached to {pu'jInmey}.

> "We found these papers, hidden in your cell"

That's... a rather short summary of what must have actually been said.

> po' toS qa'ang-nag qa'Inge'... qa'Inge'...
> "They are not mine, I'm keeping them for someone."

Maybe this sentence wasn't Klingon, since the speaker wasn't Klingon
either. OTOH, the repetition of what is apparently the {qa-} prefix
makes me suspicious.

Trying to interpret it as Klingon, I hear {qa'ang neH} (sounded more
like {nagh} than {neH}) and *{qa'Ing neH}.

> tuja'qu' [ghoja'qu']
> "Who?"

{ghoja'qu'} (or {choja'qu'})
"Tell us!" (or "You will tell me.")

> vaj.. jIva' DaHech

{vaj 'IvvaD DaHIj?}
"Then who are you delivering it for?"

Not entirely sure about the {HIj} there, and the {vaj} may have been a
badly pronounced {maj}, but the {'IvvaD Da-} part is clear.

> vaj bIHegh 'e' DamaS, qar'a'?

"Then you prefer to die, right?"
That's what I heard also.

> "Tell us, or you will die."
> "Tell us! Who do they belong to?"

Since this was a deleted scene, the subtitles may not exactly match
the spoken dialogue. Given that, what I heard wasn't terrible. It
looks and sounds like Okrandian Klingon, subject to the Star Trek
movie Klingon dialogue editing process that we're familiar with. It's
not nearly as messy as the dialogue from the 2013 film.