[Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv = The Recruit - 13

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sat Aug 31 17:17:16 PDT 2013

This is an original (although replete with predictable stock situations)
story in Klingon, fully translated into English with explanations of Klingon
grammar and idiom, serialized into short, daily snippets. Yesterday young
Torg was trying to impress an attractive female with his secret mission.
jatlh maQ, "Qu'majvaD 'orwI' ghaH bIp'e'. Hung patlhDaj nIv law' Hung
patlhlIj nIv puS."
qa'meH vIttlhegh jatlh torgh 'ej mIybe'choH. toH, <bIp> 'oH 'orwI' pong'e'.
taQ pongvetlh. ghaytan per yuD 'oH je.
--
jatlh maQ = maQ said - I'm going to stop translating speech tags because you
should know them by now.

"For the our mission, hundred thousand is the pilot."
or more smoothly, "Bip is the pilot for our mission."
Hung patlhDaj nIv law' Hung patlhlIj nIv puS.
Here's another of those comparitive law'/puS sentences.
Hung = security
patlh = rank, level
nIv = be superior - you saw this before
law' = be many - remember this, and puS below so you can recognize and
understand this construction
puS = be few
-lIj = N4 - your - another possessive suffix, also only good for non-people.
"Her security rank is more superior than your security rank." or "She has a
higher security clearance than you do."
qa'meH vIttlhegh jatlh torgh 'ej mIybe'choH.
qa'meH vIttlhegh = replacement proverb - one of a number of  set phrases
that a Klingon can recite to restore lost honour when he has done something
shameful or embarrassing.
jatlh torgh - you know
'ej - I hope you haven't forgotten the word "and" that joins sentences
mIy = brag
You've seen -be' and -choH before but notice how they are working together.
mIybe' = he doesn't brag; mIychoH = he starts bragging, he switches to
bragging; mIybe'choH = he switches to not bragging, he stops bragging
So: "Torg says a replacement proverb ad stops bragging."
toH, <bIp> 'oH 'orwI' pong'e'.
toH = well, so - an interjection
Except for toH, the sentence is just like one you've seen before introducing
maQ.
"So, the pilot's name is hundred thousand."
taQ pongvetlh.
taQ = be weird
-vetlh = that, those - the farther away counterpart to -vam
"That name is weird."
ghaytan per yuD 'oH je.
ghaytan = probably, likely
per yuD = code name - literally 'dishonest label'
'oH = it - here "it is" because it's pronoun as to be again.
je = also - you've seen it as "and" joining nouns, but now it's following a
word that is acting as a verb, making it mean "also, as well".
"It is probably a code name, too."
-	Qov