[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: naj

Bellerophon, modeler bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 11:11:57 PDT 2013

So when used to present a direct quote, {jatlh} and {ja'} are there for
stage-setting. As with English /said/, they can come after the quote,
though it helps avoid confusion to say {ja'} or {jatlh} before a longer
quote.

If the wiki is correct, then {lut vIja'pu'} wouldn't mean "I told the
story" but rather "I told him/her/them the story", as opposed to {lut
qaja'pu'} or {lut Saja'pu'}. And {Dotlh yIja'} would mean "Report status to
him!" (apparently someone else needs that report) as opposed to {Dotlh
HIja'} "Report status (to me)!" I guess clipped would be simply {Dotlh ja'}.

I'm confused about indirect quotes. Acc. to TKD, neither {'e'} nor {net} is
used with {jatlh} or {ja'}. You don't say {*qama'pu' neH 'e' jatlh la'},
but if you say {qama'pu' neH jatlh la'} what does it mean? "The commander
says (that) he wants prisoners" or "The commander says, 'He wants
prisoners.' " A direct quote would be {jatlh la' qama'pu' vIneH} (the
commander says, "I want prisoners"), but speaking in someone else's voice
in such a situation seems awkward and presumptuous, at least for English
speakers.

~'eD

My modeling blog:          http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
My other modeling blog:  http://bellerophon.blog.com/