[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ronmoH

Bellerophon, modeler bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 13:07:42 PDT 2013

ron'a' rutlh? ronchugh puH Duj rutlhmey, rutlhmey ronmoH'a' jonta'?

In English of course, wheels roll when moving unpowered, although it is
about the lateral axis and not the longitudinal. Once the wheels are
powered and propelling the vehicle, it is more usual to say "turn," v.i. or
v.t. If they rotate under power without resistance, we say "spin," also
v.i. or v.t. And we use "turn" (v.i. or v.t.) to denote rotation of
steerable roadwheels and of the vehicle about the vertical axis, as well as
of the steering wheel about its axis. This is all totally idiomatic, as if
devised to confuse non-native speakers.

Klingon seems to share English's abundance of verbs related to rotational
motion (ron, tor, Der, jIr, DIng, tlhe', Qach, bav, even nughI'), and
Klingon usage might be just as idiomatic as English. One hopes that some
day Maltz will shed more light on idioms regarding rotational
motion. But in Earth's 23rd century there seems to be a scarcity of wheeled
vehicles, so he may be unfamiliar with idioms concerning those.

'eD

--
My modeling blog:          http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
My other modeling blog:  http://bellerophon.blog.com/