[Tlhingan-hol] Dante qul'a'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 25 12:02:48 PDT 2013

nIqolay:
>>   muchenmoHchu'ta'bogh wa''a' tungHa' ruv.
>>   Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore;
>>   Justice incited my sublime Creator;
>>      [...]
>> Line 4: I'm not 100% sure if wa''a' is strictly acceptable, but its
>> meaning is clear enough that perhaps it could be excused as poetic
>> license.

Voragh:
>> Although I'm not sure what you're trying to get across, but Okrand's
> comments on the common tendency of some people to use *{Qun'a'} for God
> may be useful here:

>> I was trying to use wa''a' as "important one, great one, special one"
>> as in "the One who created me". (Apparently the meaning wasn't as clear as
>> I thought!)

Aha... The One!  We've never seen AFAIK {-'a'} or {Hom} used with numbers.  In this one line, I think simply tagging {wa'} with {-'e'} works:

  muchenmoHchu'ta'bogh wa''e' tungHa' ruv
  justice encourages the one who has perfectly created me

although I would drop {-chu'} from the lengthy string of affixes.  Do you need the extra syllable for the metre?

>> I also briefly thought of ngIq'a' as "important one, great one", since the
>> original post where ngIq got mentioned described it by saying "I surmise
>> that {ngIq} by itself could mean 'the one and only'," but it seems like
>> the literal meaning of ngIq is still not 100% certain.

You're right.  {ngIq} seems to be an adverbial meaning something like "one by one, one at a time, apiece, singly, each one, etc."  It's used in the {'u'} libretto, paq'batlh and Monopoly:

  ngIq nuv luHoH
  they killed the warriors one by one. ('U'-OPERA)

  ngIq tonSaw' lo' 'ej...
  in one single move, he... ('U'-OPERA)

  ngIq tonSaw' lo' 'ej tIqDu' lel
  ngIq tonSaw' lo' 'ej quvqa'
  ngIq tonSaw' lo' 'ej rIn may'
  In one single move, he removed the hearts,
  In one single move, he restored his honor,
  In one single move, the battle was done.  PB

  ngIq tonSaw' lo' SaD law' San chenmoH qeylIS wej
   boghbogh nuvpu' San chenmoH
  In one single move, Kahless decided the fate of
   thousands, and those to come.  PB

  ngIq raQ - 150 QaS
  outposts cost 150 each MKE

  ngIq raQ - 200 QaS, mon - 200 QaS loS raQmey je
  Outposts cost 200 each; capitals, 200 each plus 4 outposts. MKE

  ngIq raQvaD cha'maH vagh QaS yInob
  For each outpost pay 25 forces. MKE

  ngIq gholvaD vaghmaH QaS yInob
  Pay each player 50 forces. MKE

  ngIq gholvo' wa'maH QaS yItlhap
  Collect 10 forces from every player. MKE

>> A simple quvwI' might work, though; it's what I had written
>> down before I switched to wa''a'.

{quvwI'} isn't bad.  In Klingon simpler is often better.  Yet another option is to use the often overlooked quality {Dun} "be wonderful, be great" -- {wa' Dun}.  E.g.

qIbDaq SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS
You would be the greatest warrior in the galaxy. ST5

ta'mey Dun, bommey Dun.
Great deeds, great songs. TKW

toH, SomrawDu' Dunqu'
Oh, what wonderful muscles! (ST5 DVD, extra "making of" feature)

wanI'vam Dun luleghlaHmeH tlhIngan SuvwI' Duypu' bongeH 'e' lutul tera'nganpu'
We hope that you can send a delegation of honorable emissaries to witness this glorious event. ('U'-MTK)

tlhIHvaD paq chu' wImuch 'e' bochaw'mo' chequvmoH 'ej chebelmoH. lut'a'raj Dun laDlaHmeH tera'ngan, tera'Daq tlhIngan lut'a' paq wa'DIch wIchenmoHta', lut'a' 'oH paq'batlh'e'.
It is a great honor and pleasure that you have allowed us to present you with the first Terran edition of your glorious epic, the paq'batlh. (Vincent Van Gerven Oei's speech at qepHom wa'maHDIch)

nughraj Dun lurDechmeyraj Dun je DIvuvta' 'e' lutul HaDwI'pu' 'ej vItul jIH. lIbelmoH paqvam 'e' vItul.
The editors and I hope to have respected your rich culture and tradition, and we hope that you will be pleased with the results. (Vincent Van Gerven Oei's speech at qepHom wa'maHDIch)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons