[Tlhingan-hol] Dothraki nugh vIghal

David Holt kenjutsuka at live.com
Thu Apr 11 20:50:49 PDT 2013

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 17:32:42 -0400
From: nbtheduke at gmail.com
> So the constructed language we're studying isn't a living language, but in fact a dead language that we're learning about> piecemeal from a third-party. A lot of your arguments make more sense now. I disagree with that being desirable in the> least, but I'm glad I know where you're coming from.

I feel like you and Sustel are arguing extremes and the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  In actual fact, the language community has invented novel uses for existing words and even a few actual new words.  The community of fluent speakers is very small and so growth and progress are equally small, thus we rely on infusions from Okrand for growth.  It is not a dead  or a stagnant language.  However it is also clear to me that the language is already useful even without further growth and that people should not even think of helping the language grow (in the way you're arguing about) until they are capable of spending the whole day speaking in Klingon.  Also, if we are imitating the evolution of natural languages, such growth should never be planned or forced, but happen naturally and unintentionally within the community of fluent speakers.  All this adds up to, Okrand being the only one allowed to intentionally and artificially expand the language (though I would accept the KLI notifying it's members that it has noticed a particular trend within the community).
Jeremy