[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: luj

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 25 06:54:34 PDT 2012

> Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, September 22, 2012
>
> Klingon word:   luj
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition:    lose,not win)

As used in canon:

lujpu' jIH
I have failed. TKD

lujpu' jIH'e'
I, and only I, have failed. TKD

bIlujlaHbe'chugh bIQaplaHbe'
If you cannot fail, you cannot succeed. TKW
("If you cannot lose, you cannot win"; i.e. Nothing ventured, nothing gained).

wo' choqmeH may' DoHlu'chugh lujbe'lu'
"ending a battle to save an empire is no defeat." TKW

Cultural notes:

KGT 165-66:  The slang expression is used in such constructions as {bIvonlu'pu'} ("You have failed completely"; literally, "You have been trapped"). In standard Klingon, the same idea may be expressed by saying {lujbej} ("certainly fail"), {lujchu'} ("fail perfectly"), or {lujqu'} ("really fail"), all based on {luj} ("fail"). Note that {luj} is also used to mean lose (as in "lose at a game"). To say "I lose" is {jIluj}; to say "I lose in a big way" is {jIlujqu'} or {jIlujchu'}

HQ 2.4:18:  To a Klingon, to win is to function perfectly. The opposite notion, lose, is commonly {luj}, also meaning 'fail'.

Don't confuse with the verb {chIl} "lose, misplace".

Related words:

Qap 		win (a competition, or a war) (v)
Quj  	play a game (v)
SuD 		gamble, take a chance (v)