[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Qu'vatlh

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Wed Sep 19 15:22:14 PDT 2012

ghItlhta' Voragh,
> AFAIK never used in canon.  Does it - or any other curse for that matter - appear in the {paq'batlh}?

petaQ is used a fair bit, as one might expect.

It contains this footnote (which I believe was written by Schönefeld, not Okrand):
P’takh (petaQ) is a Klingon insult, meaning something like “weirdo,” deriving from the verb “to be weird” (taQ), with and you (plural) imperative prefix (pe-). Alternative romanizations include pahtak, p’tak, patahk, and pahtk.

Interestingly, the text contains the line <nItlhejbogh petaQmey tInuD> ("Look att hese p'takhs at your side"), shouted by Molor at Kahless; not sure if the <-mey> was intentional to add insult to, well, insult.
[It also contains the phrase <nuqDaq ghaH petaQ'e'> ("Where is the p'takh [...]"), with <ghaH> rather than <'oH>.]

Molor also tell Kahless <petaQ'a' SoH>, which is translated as "You dirty p'takh,". So, apparently <petaQ'a'> is a thing.

Another curse:

tuHbe' tlhInganvam jay'
--"Curse this Klingon, who has no shame!"
(paq'raD, Canto 5; page 109)