[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Suy

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Wed Sep 19 13:20:47 PDT 2012

> Does {Suy} appear in the {paq'batlh}?

It does not.

From: Steven Boozer [sboozer at uchicago.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 21:35
To: tlhingan-hol at kli.org
Subject: Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Suy

> Klingon word:   Suy
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition:     merchant

Used in canon:

  Suy SoH
  You are a merchant. KGT

Does {Suy} appear in the {paq'batlh}?

KGT 196:  Mistakenly calling someone a {Suy} (merchant) when the intent is to be insulting and call him or her a {Suy'} [*shooy*, a type of animal] will have the effect of making the speaker appear to be foolish and, therefore, weak and hardly in a position to be ridiculing someone else. Furthermore, the speaker may inadvertently offend a nearby merchant.

  bIje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh
  Buy or die.

"This is a common saying among Klingon merchants, usually uttered when customers are in the store comparing products or sampling the available goods, but not purchasing anything. Tellingly, there is no known Klingon word for "browse," at least as applied to matters of commerce. Klingon shops do not have windows, but doing the in-store equivalent of window-shopping appears to be a bad idea." (TKW 213)

Trek trivia:

"I am Spock, a dealer in kevoss and trillium." (TOS "Errand of Mercy" [CC])

"He is a Vulcanian merchant, mainly concerned with how he will carry on business under our occupation." (Klingon guard, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

Related words:

SuyDuj          merchant ship (n)

malja'  business (n)
  malja' Huq  "transact business" (phrase)

mech    trade (v),
tam             exchange (v)
tlhong  barter, bargain (v)
je'             buy, purchase (v)