[Tlhingan-hol] Proto-Galactic Alphabet

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 14:14:12 PDT 2012

Hey folks,
I was just browsing through old pictures that are still on the internet,
when I came across a very funny one, very Klingon-related. Here's the story
to that picture:

Back in 2007 I was quite active in a language community online (Unilang)
and the biggest active thread there at that time was one about the
relationship of Hungarian and Sumerian. A Hungarian guy tried to prove
their genetical, cultural, linguistic relationship and came up with ever
new "evidence" and implausabilities... From a linguistic viewpoint this was
all inconsequent and non-scientific rubbish and I tried to convince him
that he was wrong (someone is wrong on the internet!)... didn't work, of
course. One day I just wanted to show him how easy it was to "prove" a
relationship to a random language and chose Klingon, because such a
relationship would of course be nonsense. I found a bunch of similar words
in Sumerian and Klingon, and because that guy in the forum also compared
the Sumerian cuneiforms with the old Hungarian runes, I thought I'd try to
"prove" to him that also the Klingon alphabet could be related to the
Hungarian runes. And actually that proved to be very successful!
Actually, it almost convinced myself... so I reconstructed the
Proto-Galactic alphabet, of which the Klingon pIqaD letters as well as the
Hungarian runes derived in ancient times (the runes have to be mirrored,
though). See for yourself:

http://www.lionking.org/~timwi/n_true/Proto-Galactic.png

It was so much fun to do this! =)
- André