[Tlhingan-hol] -Ha' on adverbs

David Holt kenjutsuka at live.com
Wed Sep 5 07:35:19 PDT 2012

If the opinion of someone with less fluency struggling to understand meaning is of any help, I'd be happy to share what I would interpret from DaHHa' and SIbI'Ha'.

I would interpret DaHHa' as being very general in it's restriction.  It would mean that this is not the right time.  It could refer to holding off from just this instant moment, but more likely I would interpret it as saying to hold off until much later.  SIbI'Ha', on the other hand, seems to be saying to draw things out or be patient, but not necessarily to delay long term.  Thus in the Monopoly game (chaw'vam yIpol 'ej SIbI'Ha' yIlo' pagh 'oH yImech), SIbI'Ha' is saying not to rush into using it, but rather to wait until the proper moment.  DaHHa' would have worked too, but would have felt like a more general restriction rather than the implication to wait a moment. I trust the experience of the more fluent speakers here and am excited to see how the usage develops going forward, but this is how I think I would have interpreted the meaning if I had to figure this out on my own.
janSIy