[Tlhingan-hol] Wednesday begins qep'a'

Klingonteacher levinius at gmx.de
Mon Sep 3 04:53:25 PDT 2012

Am 29.08.2012 18:12, schrieb Qov:
> Forgot to tell you a gem from the Lieven chat. He was talking about the
> difficulty of understanding people and pointed out that in German the
> words are long. If you miss one sound in a word there are fifteen more
> coming and you can make up for the missed one.

Well, actually not only German. It's also a fact in many other
languages. Pay attention in holiday where people do not speak your
language, it's easy to understand anyway.

Everybody understand this correctly: "Two we or nut two we" but it's
dangerous to say {taQ pagh taQbe'} in the wrong place ;-)

No, seriously, compare this:

"I dont unnerstand" or "I not unersand". You will get it.
The same in Klingon (jIyajbe') might sound like yIyajbe' or yIyaSbe'.

Words like woq/woQ/woH/wuq/wuQ/wuH sound very similar on a bad phone
connection. And you cannot say them slowly, as in "I said com-pee-you-ter".

> Now Lawrence is giving out qaghHom cha' tickets, and there's a newbie in
> the room.

I know qaDHom cha' but not qaghHom ... is that a new game? HIchuH!

Lieven.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh