[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Hu'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 29 08:04:38 PDT 2012

> Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, October 27, 2012
>
> Klingon word:   Hu'
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition:     days ago

So far, only seen in compound nouns, e.g.

  wa'Hu'   yesterday (one day ago)
  cha'Hu'  day before yesterday (two days ago)

  wa'Hu' jIghung
  Yesterday I was hungry. CK

{Hu'} is the counterpart of {leS} "days from now" (n.) - e.g. {wa'leS} tomorrow, {cha'leS} day after tomorrow, {'opleS} one day (indef.).  This last example would imply *{'opHu'} "some days ago, a few days ago".  We have one example of ['opleS}:

  qeylIS loDnI' 'opleS chovan
  One day, brother Kahless, You will bow before me. PB

Language notes:

HQ 8.3 p.3:  The words {ret} [period of time ago] and {pIq} [period of time from now] could also be used with days, months, and years (e.g., {wej jaj ret} "three days ago", rather than {wejHu'}, but utterances of these are not particularly common, sound a bit archaic, and are usually restricted to rather formal settings.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons