[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: waQ

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 25 09:10:38 PDT 2012

>> Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, October 22, 2012
>>
>> Klingon word:   waQ
>> Part of speech: verb
>> Definition:     obstruct

quljIb:
> {tlhIngon Hol vIyaj 'e' DawaQ.} "You obstruct my understanding of
> Klingon." (lit. "You obstruct that I understand Klingon language.")
>
> Is this a valid use of the word?  Or is {waQ} meant to be used in a
> more literal way?  Example: {lojmIt waQ.} "It obstructs the door."

AFAIK there are no examples of this verb used in canon.  (Are there any in the paq'batlh?)

For comparison we have the similar verb {bot} "prevent, block" which has been used:

  Dubotchugh yIpummoH
  If it's in your way, knock it down. TKW

  HuDqIjDaq qet ghIq Hechaj bot QIStaq
  Running Over the Black Hills Until Kri'stak blocks their path. (PB)

  qarDaSQa'Daq ruDelya' rop'a' Hergh qengbogh yo' Dabot.
  Intercept Rudellian plague relief convoy to Cardassian Union. MKE

  lojmItDaj veghta'DI' jubbe'wI' yInqa'meH chegh 'e' botnIS
   qotar qeylIS HoHmeH qotar qeylIS SamnIS
  Still, Kotar cannot let a mortal Pass his gates and return
   alive, Kahless must be hunted down and killed. (PB)

  yab matlh muvchuqghach Sorgh vay' 'e' vIbotjaj.
  Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments.
  (Sonnet 116)

This raises the question:  What's the difference between {waQ} "obstruct" and {bot} "prevent, block, etc."?

We have a possible antonym {Huv} "be clear, not obstructed" which AFAIK has also not appeared in canon.  (Someone - was it Sustel? - once translated John Ford's "naked stars" as *{Hovmey Huv} which I works very nicely.)  And there's also {poS} "be open/opened" vs. {SoQ} "be closed/shut" and {ngaQ} "be locked, be sealed, be secured, be fastened".

All of which doesn't answer quljIb's question.  My own rule-of-thumb WRT ambiguous verbs unattested in canon is to assume the literal/physical meaning over a metaphorical one until we have further examples or clues from Okrand.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons