[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhon

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 25 08:27:29 PDT 2012

>> tlhonchaj chIljaj
>> May they lose their nostrils! TKD

Felix:
> A curious expression, if ever there was one. TKD mentions this in the
> context that the -jaj suffix "is particularly useful when placing a
> curse or making a toast.", and since the other example sentence
> (jaghpu'lI' DaghIjjaj) would appear to be a toast, it seems rather
> likely that this is a curse. Or possibly both a toast and a curse.
>
> It might also be relevant - if in poor taste - here to mention that the
> typical phrase for picking one's nose appears to be {ghIchwIjDaq
> jISIq'egh} (or some other variant depending on who's doing it and what
> finger is being used).

While we're on the topic of {ghIchDu'} ...

KGT 28:  A small amount of regional variation is also found among words referring to body parts, though almost always, words for the different body parts are the same in all dialects. One exception is the word for "nose," which is {ghIch} everywhere but in some regions may alternatively be called {ley'}.

HQ 12.4 p.8:  Air, for example, comes into and out of the nose or mouth. The word for breath is {tlhuH}, and that for breathe is also {tlhuH}. To breathe in, or inhale, is {pur}; to breathe out, or exhale, is {rech}. To breathe noisily, or wheeze, is {jev}. [...] To breathe even more noisily, or snore, is {wuD}.

boch ghIjraj
Your nose is shiny. TKD

boch; ghIch rur
shiny as a nose KGT

ghIchwIj DabochmoHchugh ghIchlIj qanob
If you shine my nose, I will give you your nose. PK
[idiom: "Don't try to fool me. Do not try to mislead me if you value your life."]

ghIchDaj yIQotlh!
Disable his/her nose! KGT

ghIchwIj vISIq
I touch my nose with my index finger. (HQ 10.2)

ghIchwIjDaq jISIq
I point at my nose with my index finger. (HQ 10.2)

ghIchwIjDaq jISIq'egh
I pick my nose with my index finger. (HQ 10.2)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons