[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Doq 'ej wovbe'

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Mon Oct 15 08:58:41 PDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 11:53 AM, ghunchu'wI' 'utlh <qunchuy at alcaco.net> wrote:

> ...and there's the assumption I was missing. You're treating this as
> giving English-to-Klingon information rather than the other way
> around. For someone who knows nothing about Klingon, that's probably
> appropriate. I do worry that presenting it that way implicitly might
> encourage people to keep starting with an English expression and try
> to translate the whole thing, rather than build Klingon sentences
> using what they've learned, but it isn't a big enough worry for me to
> [ahem] worry about.

In the case of this word, yes, but this is one of very few
English-centric entries. In this case it is solely designed for an
English speaker to locate some kind of information about how to say
"brown" in Klingon. The majority of the entries in my database are not
like that, but in this case there aren't really many options.

> Of course, if it were *really* 100% English-centric, you'd have to
> label "brown" as an adjective. ;-)

True, but all the other colour words are labeled as verbs, so tried to
keep the Klingon angle as much as possible. :)

qurgh