[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Doq 'ej wovbe'

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 14 18:01:57 PDT 2012

ghItlhpu' qurgh, jatlh:
> Klingon word: Doq 'ej wovbe'
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: be brown

jang quljIb, jatlh:
> Why not <<Doq 'ej Hurgh>>?

I believe that'd be equally fine. Doq 'ej wovbe' is presumably presented here because it's attested in canon in association with the meaning "be brown".

I was going to keep my trap shut, but I'm glad someone else has raised this. With all due respect to qurgh, and not wanting to sound like a pedantic old curmudgeon ('coz it's led to fiery confrontation before and I don't want that), Doq 'ej wovbe' isn't a verb; it wouldn't be conjugated as *SuDoq 'ej wovbe'. For that matter, it isn't a word either; it's a sentence, comprised of three grammatically distinct words. Finally, it means "be red/orange and be not bright"; I think defining it as meaning "be brown" is too restrictive. I'd use it to cover a range of colour terms including crimson, maroon and burgundy, all of which for me are subsets of red rather than brown. Conversely, from KGT we know that something brown can be described with Doq alone, or with any appropriate modifier, such as Qaj wuS rur "resemble kradge lips".

Actually, that (along with chaDQI''s recent message about Klingon colour terms) makes me think it might be fun to work out where different people's Klingon colour boundaries lie. If I made up a basic colour survey, would anyone be interested in taking it?

QeS