[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lolchu'taH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 2 07:15:50 PDT 2012

> Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, October 02, 2012
>
> Klingon word: lolchu'taH
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: maintain a correct attitude (aircraft)

{lol}  be in an attitude (i.e. aircraft); be in a stance, be in a pose (i.e. people or animals) (v.)

{lolchu'}  be in a correct attitude (i.e. aircraft) (v.)

{lolchu'taH}  maintain a correct attitude (i.e. aircraft) (v.)

{lolmoH}  maneuver an aircraft to be in some attitude or other (v.)

{loltaH}  maintain an attitude (i.e. aircraft) (v.)

{lolSeHcha}  attitude-control thrusters (n. [pl. only?])

{lol} et al. in canon:

  qughmeH Duj vIlolmoH
  I put the vessel in the attitude for cruise (or cruising). [HQ 11.2]

  DuHIvmeH SuvwI' lol ghaH
  the warrior is in a stance to attack you [HQ 11.2]

  qughmeH Duj vIlolmoH
  I put the vessel in the attitude for cruise (or cruising) [HQ 11.2]

Trek notes:

"Inertial dampers failing. We're losing attitude control!" (Ens. Ro [after colliding with the USS Bozeman], TNG "Cause and Effect")

"Adjust the axial stabilizers to match the attitude and rotation rate of the Enterprise." (Picard, TNG "Genesis")

"I've regained attitude control of the Enterprise." (Picard, TNG "Genesis")

Related verbs:

ron 		bank (an aircraft)
QoD 		maneuver (engines))

Der 		yaw