[Tlhingan-hol] Close female friend of a male?

Klingonteacher levinius at gmx.de
Thu Nov 29 01:53:37 PST 2012

Am 29.11.2012 02:34, schrieb Michael Roney, Jr. PKT:
> We have chaj and maqoch for close friends of the same gender, but no
> words for close friends of the opposite gender.

I first I had the idea to extend the meaning and "misuse" the word, but
now I just read in KGT that doing exactly this is not allowed:

"A Klingon female would address someone as {maqoch} only if she intended
to insult him or her. [...] A male Klingon would address a female
Klingon as {chaj} only to offend her."  (KGT)

On the previous page, it is suggested to use {jupna'} for close friends,
"real friend, good friend".

Using {-oy} on {jup} sounds wrong. Usually, only children use it, and
romantic partners use it in the {bang pong}.

> -=-=-
> Either all of us are on-line at the same exact time, or there's
> something funny going on with the list.

I always thought that you are really going online at the same time... (?)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh