[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nay

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 26 09:46:14 PST 2012

> Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, November 25, 2012
>
> Klingon word:   nay
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition:     marry (wife does this)
> Source: TKD

Cf. also {Saw}  marry (groom does this).

AFAIK neither have appeared in canon.  Do either appear in the paq'batlh WRT Kahless marrying Lukara?

Cultural notes:

"The Oath is the "Klingon ritual of marriage, solemnizing the bond between husband and wife in the Klingon culture. Worf and K'Ehleyr almost "took the oath" after they spent a night together on the Enterprise-D holodeck in 2365, but neither felt ready for such a commitment at that time, even though they had just conceived a child together." {tlhIngan jIH} "I am a Klingon" is "[the first] part of the oath spoken between husband and wife in solemnizing their marriage", which is for life. (STE 344; cf. TNG "The Emissary")

Martok compared getting married to a war breaking out: "A long, grueling, intoxicating war." Although Martok has won his fair share of battles over the course of his marriage, he knows that in the end his wife Sirella will win the war. (DS9 "Strange Bedfellows")

PUN:
Okrand confirmed at qep'a' loSDIch that {nay} came from "nay" (no) and {Saw} from "sure" with a Southern drawl. (HetaQ)

Related words:

'Ip 		vow, swear, take an oath (v)

'Ip		oath (n)
tlhogh 	marriage (n)