[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: choq

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 26 06:47:54 PST 2012

quljIb:
>> qangvamDaq Huch choqlu'.  "One saves money in this building."
>> Huch choqmeHghach qang.  "Building for saving money/bank (?)"

Voragh:
> {pol} "keep, save, store" may be a better choice for keeping/saving
> money in a bank {beylI'}.  As used in canon:
>
> nuqDaq yuch Dapol
> Where do you keep the chocolate? TKD
>
> DapollaH pagh DapolHa'laH
> You can either keep it or you can discard it. KGT
>
> Soj polmeH pa'
> food storage [locker/compartment] KBoP
>
> polmeH jav QujwI' lIwmey
> 6 collectible tokens  MKE
>
> chaw'vam yIpol 'ej SIbI'Ha' yIlo' pagh 'oH yImech
> This card may be kept until needed or traded. MKE

Speaking of money in the bank, FYI we have {qav'ap} from Monopoly which seems to mean "amount/sum of money":

voHDajbo' qav'ap
mortgage value MKE

HoSHal ghajchugh vay', mI' naghmey tIronmoH. wa'maHlogh boq'egh mI' naghmey; chen qav'ap. ghajwI'vaD qav'ap yIDIl.
If [energy source is] owned, throw dice and pay owner a total ten times amount shown. MKE

pIraqSIS HoS waw' ghajlu'chugh, loSlogh boq'egh mI' naghmey mI'; chen qav'ap
If Praxis Energy Facility is owned, rent is 4 times amount shown on dice. MKE

Duj ghajchugh vay', cha'logh boq'egh qav'ap motlh; chen qav'ap le'. ghajwI'vaD qav'ap le' yIDIl.
If [ship is] owned, pay owner twice the rental to which they are otherwise entitled. MKE

And while we're on the subject of banks and money, there's another new verb {wel} "owe":

voHDajbo' wellu' 200
Mortgaged for 200. MKE

yervamvaD voHDajbo' wellu'chugh, 'echletHom Dopvam yIcha'
Card must be turned this side up if property is mortgaged. MKE

BTW notice the use of {voHDajbo'} "ransom" for "mortgage". <g>

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons